Freelance writing and copywriting is considered as one of the most lucrative segment of work at home businesses. It offers diverse opportunities of earning attractive packages for the right persons. Here are few things that can help you in taking up a career as a freelance writer.
- First of all, make sure that you have the flair for writing and the basic skills to become a freelance writer.
- You need not possess any literary skills or prior experience as a writer; however, knowledge in the specific fields would be an added advantage.
- For the beginners, I would suggest to start looking out for online freelance writing work rather than offline writing assignments for magazines, newspapers and journals.
- Initially, you might as well start with writing very short reviews, opinions etc (not more than 150 words – about two paragraphs, each of 5 lines) on forums and blog posting. Although it would fetch negligible rewards but it will give you an idea about where you stand and provide you the necessary experience before you make it big.
- Freelance writing is all about ‘easy to read and understand’ style, ‘to the point’ and factual contents and little awareness about keywords and search engine optimization techniques.
- The online readers generally tend to move away fast and therefore whatever you write must be lucid and effective.
- Teamwork is one of the best ways to ensure steady flow of work.
- You can join teams through your friends or through freelancing platforms such as GAF, where you can find regular job postings for inviting people to join the teams.
- Advantages of working in teams far outweigh its minus points.
Freelance writing and copywriting might not always provide consistent workflow, feast and famine type of cycle being the common feature. You might find yourself sitting idle at some occasions and sometimes you might pass through a phase when you are overloaded with work, which you would have to refuse or pass away to others.