For a blogger or an owner of a website, one of the foremost concerns is to grab as much traffic as possible. Bloggers often use several tactics to ensure higher traffic. Link building is one of the most important facets for securing higher traffic. Here is a basic guide to what link building is.
What is Link Building?
Link building or website linking means methods of hyper linking of different websites (especially high-traffic and industry-specific websites) to ensure mutual traffic. It is usually used as a part of Search Engine Optimization tactics.
What is the Significance of Link Building?
- Linking between websites is an important part of SEO process, as Google PageRank algorithms use link popularity to rank web pages.
- Blog owners often submit their websites to link exchange directories (or banner exchanges). Link exchange is like an association or a central organization of websites and operates similar to a web ring. Web masters or blog owners register their websites with the link exchanges and receive HTML code, which they can insert on their sites.
- By submitting your websites with other websites through link exchange directories, your chances of getting higher search engine rankings improve drastically.
- A web page that is linked by many web pages with high PageRank, itself receives a high rank.
What is Link Popularity?
- It is a measure of quantity and quality of sites that link to a particular site on World Wide Web.
- Many search engines require that at least one link must exist to a website or else they may drop the site from their index.
- It plays a crucial role in the visibility of a website among the top of the search results.
- For link popularity, quality of incoming links is more important than the numbers of incoming links.
What is PageRank?
- It is a ‘trademark’ of Google; however, the patent has been assigned to Stanford University from whom Google has purchased exclusive license rights.
- PageRank is an algorithm used by Google Search Engine to assign numerical ranks (on a scale of 0-10) to each web page on the Internet.
- PageRank in essence denotes the importance of a particular website in the eyes of Google search engine.