Social Media has become an extremely efficient medium for people to connect with and to remain in contact with online communities for personal as well as business relationships. Social media has completely changed how millions of global population reads and shares news, contents, information, images and audio and video links. Here is a small guide to social media.
What is Social Media?
It is a combination of sociology and technology, which enables all the people and entities right from a private individual to a large business house to publish or access contents and information free of cost.
What are the benefits of Social Media?
- Social media is a powerful Internet Marketing tool for freelancers, small to medium business owners and large companies alike.
- With social media, you can gain more credibility and recognition from your customers and website visitors (who in turn could become potential customers).
- It is one of the better ways to get instant exposure to your website as against paid advertising (PPC). It is relatively a very inexpensive approach for Internet Marketing.
- Social media has a tremendous potential to drive traffic to your sites. Several studies have shown that Internet Marketing through social media generates enhanced traffic and develops business relationships with new clients.
Social Media vs Traditional Media such as newspapers, television and film:
- Social media is a low-cost method of publishing information and thus even a person like you and me can use it to our advantage.
- Both the media provide an easy reach to masses and global audience
- Social media tools are available to anyone at almost negligible costs while traditional media require specialized skills and training and large financial and technological capabilities.
- Unlike traditional media, social media is capable of producing instantaneous responses.
Which are the popular Social Media?
Internet forums, social blogs, podcasts, social networking sites such as Facebook and MySpace, Micro-Blogging sites such as Twitter and Jaiku, Wikipedia, Google Groups, YouTube (video sharing), Flickr (photo sharing), Second Life (virtual reality) and MouthShut (product reviews), among other, are few of the most popular applications of social media.
In the end:
If you are in Internet Business, you should use social media and social networking as integral components of your marketing tools to drive traffic to your site and promoting your business.